Great Pyrenees Community GPC

Our special friends that complete our lives

I live in the mountains, along a river. My Cecil like's to take off when not on a lead. The terrain here doesn't allow for a fence close to the house. Is there a way to keep a pyr at home? I never tie my lab, and she never leaves us. Cecil likes to go vist the neighbors ! Not good in an area notorious for dis-a-pyring pets!

Any ideas? Can you teach a pyr to stay home?

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well ty Jackie but Pippin did give me a lot to work with in the 1st place!!
Talk about being born a good dog!
I could get reliable recall out of Sheba & will be working on it...Probably out of Dancer but Sam...uh-uh...not with the wicked & sarcastic sense of humor he has!...Top that off with his temperament issue...Nope...Sam is 100% for always on leash or fenced!
I don't know if I deserve the praise you give me but I do know I'm not stupid! lol!
Chelle
Jackie's boy Gandalf was owned and trained by her husband Todd and Gandalf's off leash behavior is amazing! He stays in sight and returns when asked. Such a good boy he is!
Oh Rissa (blush blush) Thank you for the compliment! Tanimara's Gandalf the White "Gandalf" is amazing. There is not doubt about it. In 22 years he's the most stable temperament I've owned and there have been many. He is 100% off leash trained. He can go on a service call to a strangers home and he will never leave that persons yard while Todd is inside working on their computer! He raises all the babies that are born here since he was just a little more than a pup himself. I thank you all for the complements on our boy, who by the way is a cousin to Chelle's Pippin. And here is his picture taken at 3 years of age I believe it is. I do want to through something in here. All of our Pyrs are our babies. They all have independent pyrsonalities by a big shot! So some make good off leash dogs but most do not. Always keep the dogs saftey in mind, but dont ever think you can not have an off leash Pyr either.
Attachments:
Oh and I forgot to tell you. Todd owned and trained Gandalf. I own and trained him!..lol

Jackie
ROTFL!!!
Chelle
I ABSOLUTELY agree! My dogs have a great recall in a contained area. But I don't trust them as far as I can throw them! It only takes one time for them to wander to have a dead dog so I will never test my training with this breed. Also when placing a Pyr in a new home- no fencing - no dog- very simple rule to remember!
It's funny but I was going to start a discussion tonight on this topic. I just got back from the first day at the Obedience seminar with John Rogerson who is one of the top world trainers. I signed up for an auditing spot but after heating discussion with him about the history/purpose of the breed I asked to bring Lily for some work tomorrow. I will post the results tomorrow.
After I explained to him that Pyrs don't come when called under major distractions and that the breed is very old and dogs are very independent and don't like to listen and do everything you ask them (mind you he is training Collies!) his questions/answers were:
1. Why do I have her as a pet if she needs to be working independently?
2. Dogs were domesticated...don't I think Pyrs are?
3. If I took my dog to the park and the deer runs by and my dog takes off and doesn't return on recall I didn't develop DEEP enough relationship that the dog trusts me.
4. We, Pyrs owners, put it ourselfs in our heads that this breed doesn't come back and are stubborn.
5. My dog doesn't like toys in obedience ring because I didn't teach her as a puppy to play with toys properly. Lily never liked playing with toys at the classes. She only wanted her toys late at night since she was 9 week old. Every other time if I tried to get her "up" with a toy she just totally ignored it.
6. Pyrs, just like any dogs can be trained without ANY treats for the first two weeks of intensive training.
Now, don't take me wrong, he is a fantastic trainer! I got some great advice from him BUT by saying that every Pyr owner is wrong about the breed traits??!!
Please let me know what you all think :)

P.S. Liz just jointed the forum and she is saying that she has a stubborn guy! LOL What's new!?
Pippin is an off leash Pyr within reason....NEVER unsupervised!...& within reason I mean not on a city street or that kind of thing...The safety factor plays in there...His recall is amazing...I can call him off of a open frothy mouthed chase of a rabbit & pretty much turns on a dime & returns to me...But we worked long & hard to get that...I spent 3 months training him in with goats that he wanted to chase...I used mild correction, some accidental self correction & combined some drive training at the end to cement the recall.
He is off leash on our property, dog events, & of coarse the dog park.
I would not attempt this with my other 3 as they have not had the work put into them that Pippin needed.
Gandalf is Jackie's (Tanimara Great Pyrenees) off leash Pyr...He is an amazing dog!
My Pippin is also a Tanimara Pyr.
No Pyr should ever be left to roam unattended no matter how good the recall!!
Chelle
Ah, the famous Cecil! Pam was telling me about him just last night and easy going he is and how mellow. But she also said how he used to be ok off leash and be great with all kinds of dogs and now he's a bit of a wanderer and not so fond of big males. We're hoping not to have the same transition with Jack (who is 21 months now) as we've heard that Pyrs seem to have a big personality change at about 3 years old and they aren't as easy going or tolerant or obedient as before. I guess we'll see what happens!

As for teaching them to stay home, I can only add that we use e-collars for boundary training in our yard and for offleash walks because we aren't allowed fences in our neighborhood and they work really well for both Jack and our Swissy, Greta. Jack requires a VERY low setting on the collar (one that we can't even feel at all when we put the collar on our own necks!) but he responds immediately to it. He actually gets excited when he sees the collar come out because he knows we're going for a walk or outside to play - definitely no bad associations with it for him! So we often sit on the deck and eat or read and Jack just wanders around our yard or just goes and lays in the shade in our yard. He VERY rarely tries to wander into the neighbors yard and we tell him "no" and if he back he gets lots of praise and if he continues in the wrong direction he gets an e-collar correction and immediately returns and THEN we praise!
I have placed a total of 5 Pyrs now with a certain family that has 7 acres in underground fencing and they have successfully trained all of them to stay in! They are left out all the time with a doggy door to come in if they feel like it
Kiah is my husband's dog. He can take her anywhere without a leash and she stays right with him. Their connection is amazing! With me she's gone in 2 seconds though.
I am concerned that some of you are supplying information to people that will result in a disater for them. There are examples of situations where the breed can be left to guard an area and they are faithful to this ancient instinct. But when their instincts tell them to move off somewhere else, the invisible fence, etc will be like a nat on a hot day i.e. just a mear minor distraction as they quickly and easily move right past it. E collars are in the same catagory.
Joe

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Joseph Gentzel.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service